Thursday 28 May 2015

101 Things in 1001 Days #89 // Simplicity Bloggers Challenge

Enter a Competition

A few weeks ago, I stumble across the Simplicity Bloggers Challenge on Twitter. It is basically a challenge for sewing enthusiasts of all abilities to get creative & make a garment using a pattern sent to you from Simplicity. There were three categories you could enter into; Best Newcomer, Best Vintage Make & Best Dressmaking Project. As much as I would love to have made a dress, I felt I should be more realistic as I haven't made my own clothes since A-Levels (7 years ago!), so I opted for the Best Newcomer category. Once sending all of your details to Simplicity, they then send you a pattern - for the Best Newcomer category this was the Simplicity Skirt Pattern 2286. Mine arrived within a few days which was great as it allowed me to have a good look at the pattern & decide what material & trim I wanted to use. I almost immediately knew I wanted to involve Polka Dots as I love them at the moment & wanted to make something that I would actually wear myself. I then opted for a black Pom Pom trim - they are on a lot of things at the moment & I think they look super cute.


I'll be honest, I was a little nervous to get started so I decided to spend one evening cutting out the pattern & the fabric & then sew it all together on a separate day. That way I could really take my time with it & make sure I did it all correctly (without getting stressed out). It has been a while since I even looked at a pattern, but I soon remembered what everything meant. I suppose you don't ever really forget & it is quite simple once you know. Humphrey was of course on hand to help me out too.



And here is my finished Skirt...

 
So now I have to patiently sit & wait to see if mine is good enough to be one of the winners. From what I have seen so far, the competition is tough as some people have made some really beautiful skirts! There will be a winner selected from each category, with the judging panel consisting of Lauren Guthrie (finalist on the first series of  The Great British Sewing Bee), Claire-Louise Hardie (author of “The Great British Sewing Bee- Fashion with Fabric"), Rachel Egglestone (Vintage Life Magazine editor) & Simplicity’s sewing expert, Wendy Gardiner (she has over 20 years experience in the sewing world)! A pretty good judging panel I'm sure you'll agree! It would be a great boost to win something like this, but if I don't then I am really pleased I took part as I never usually think to enter such competitions. I also had great fun making my skirt & learnt a few new things along the way too! I definitely have the "Sewing Bug" now & can't wait to start on another item of clothing! Have you entered the Simplicity Bloggers Challenge too? Please leave links to your blog post below so I can take a look at what you made!

 
ZoFlo

1 comment: