Sunday 17 May 2015

How To // DIY Shirt

I have two or three shirts which I really love but I never wear. I could never put my finger on why I never wore them - I would often try them on & just decide they didn't "look right". But I really like them so didn't have the heart to get rid of them. I decide to have a play with one of them; change it up a little bit so I would wear it. I decide on making it 3/4 length sleeves & thought I would share a post on this, so hopefully you will be inspired to give it a go too!


So to make your long sleeved shirt / t-shirt / jacket into 3/4 length sleeves you will need to...
  1. Sounds obviously, but actually put the garment on! I can't even stress how important this is - don't go guessing how short you want it as you will get it wrong. I promise you (as I have done this before). 
  2. Use safety pins to mark where you want to cut it. Don't forget to include a 1.5inch seam allowance too. Take the garment off & lay on a flat surface so you can cut the sleeves straight. If you have pinking shears, it would be great to use these, especially if you're fabric is prone to fraying. But if not, standard dress making scissors will do just fine.
  3. Turn the garment inside out & turn up the end of the sleeves twice, to create a neat, equal hem on both sides. Pin in place. At this point, I folded my shirt in half, to make sure the sleeves were the same length on both sides. You could attempted to try it on, but it could be painful with the pins stuck in it.
  4. Finally, carefully stitch the hem in place. You could handsew, but I would recommend using a machine as it'll make it more secure & is more likely to last. Don't forget to use a cotton that matches the colour of your garment.

Ta Da! You're done! It's only a small change but it's surprising what a big different it makes! I am definitely going to try this with the rest of my shirts! I used my rhinestone applicator to add some gems to the collar too, which worked really well! Do you ever do any DIY on your clothes? It's a great way to add new life to an old item of clothing that you don't want to get rid of!

 
ZoFlo

No comments:

Post a Comment