Sunday 7 June 2015

How To // Chalkboard Plant Pots

If you Like my Facebook Page you may have noticed that last month I picked up a small pot of Blackboard Paint from Wilko. I had been meaning to get some for a while as I had a few project ideas in the pipeline, one of which being to jazz up some old plant pots we have in the Garden. Since moving out of my parents home, I have become more aware of the cost of things as well as having to prioritise my money. Meaning I have to spend more on Bills, Food & Petrol & less on fun things like Clothes, Make-up & apparently new plant pots!!

The only thing I dislike about some of our plant pots are the colours, other than that they are fine. So it seemed a shame to get rid of them when they were in perfectly fine condition. I have seen in a few places Chalkboard Plant Pots which are super cute but they always seem to be quite pricey. So obviously I thought the cheaper option would be to make my own & thought it was only fair to share this idea with you all. You will need:
  • Plant Pot
  • Blackboard Paint
  • Paint Brush
  • Chalk
  • Wire brush / Sandpaper (if required)
  1. Prep your painting area - as it was a nice day, I did my painting outside (this also helped the paint to dry quicker too). I still put down a dust sheet or two though as Blackboard Paint on the Decking is not okay...
  2. Make sure your chosen plant pot is clean - give it a good wipe over with a damp cloth, getting rid of any dirty bits. Also if there is any old paint chipping off, get rid of this too. I used a wire brush to get all the old paint off but you could use sandpaper.
  3. Get painting! Don't apply the paint too thickly, otherwise you may end up with drip marks. I also did two coats, just to be sure that everything was nicely covered!
  4. Once the paint has completely dried, you can use the Chalk to do whatever you like - I wrote the names of my plants on mine. I also like the idea of letting the little ones go crazy with the Chalk Pens & doing their own design for you.



And that's it - super easy & cheap. Definitely beats paying high end prices for something so simple that you can create yourself at home! What other things have you done with Blackboard Paint?
 
ZoFlo

2 comments:

  1. I love this! We too have plant pots that are too good to throw away but look old grannyish (funny that as my nan have them to us!) so need a re-vamp! Bought the paint a few weeks back and will definitely be doing this now! Thanks for the insponlovely :-). Kat xx

    Www.Laydeykatabella.Co.Uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a simple idea isn't it & it looks better than I thought it would too! Let me know how you get on with yours (would love to see photos too!!) Xx

      Delete