Sunday 21 June 2015

How To // Decoupage Candle Holder

So I had a free morning yesterday, but didn't feel like taking on anything too big (I have another foot stall & 2 chairs that need upholstering but I really wasn't in the mood yesterday) so thought it would be the perfect time to do a bit of decoupage. Its easy, not too messy & actually quite theraputic. I chose to make my own Candle Holder & thought I would share it with you all as I was really pleased with it. You will need:
  • Old Jar (I soaked mine in hot water to get the label off)
  • Decoupage Glue
  • Brush
  • Decoupage Paper - in a pattern/colour of your choice
  • Candle
  • Ribbon/Bow to decorate (optional)


Make sure you have removed the label from the jar & it is completely dry before you begin.
  1.  Tear up your decoupage paper into small pieces, depending on the effect you want to create. I was happy with doing it completely random so just did small, stamp sized squares. But you could do long strips the length of the jar to keep the pattern on the jar similar to the pattern on the paper.
  2. Put a thin layer of glue onto the jar covering only the area you want to cover. Dab the piece of paper you want to put onto the jar with the brush & stick to the gluey area. Cover with a thin layer of glue.
  3. Continue with this, doing small sections at a time, until you have covered the whole of the jar. 
  4. Leave to dry for 1-2 hours. Tie the ribbon/bow to the top of the jar, for extra decoration.
  5. Pop the candle inside & you're done!

Tip: You don't have to stick to one piece of decoupage paper. Mix it up! Use lots of different colours/patterns to create bold designs!

 This is definitely one of the most simple How To post so I do apologise but I thought it was such a cute idea & some people haven't done decoupage before. I certainly hadn't until I went to the Creative Crafts Show, where I got all of the bits needed to give it a go for myself. It is a lovely little hobby especially if you don't have much time on your hands or even if you have little ones as they can join in too! Also, you can literally decoupage anything....

 
ZoFlo


No comments:

Post a Comment